Join Us for Servant Sunday
Here at Calvary, we know that God has blessed His church so that we can bless others. And that’s why we’re inviting you not just to come to church but to BE the church on “Servant Sunday,” which is scheduled for Sunday, October 8. That day, we’ll be cancelling our regular “worship services” so that we can “worship through serving”!
Members of our Sunday School classes will meet briefly at 9 o’clock that morning to pray and cover any class business. Then everyone will meet in the sanctuary at 9:30 for a time of commissioning. But the real worship begins as we fan out across our community to serve others. We’ll spend the day meeting needs, providing encouragement, and making a difference – and we’ll even share lunch along the way! Finally, we’ll gather in the sanctuary at 6 o’clock that night to share testimonies, to see photos, and to thank God for the chance to be involved in the work of His kingdom.
Of course, we’d like everyone to participate! And so, we’re planning a wide variety of projects so that everyone can find something that fits—regardless of their skills, interests, or physical abilities. Check out the list below to see our project teams, along with a brief description of what they’ll be doing.
- Prayer Team: Support our efforts by praying for our projects, our church, and our world.
- Handyman/Wood Splitting Team: Provide repairs or firewood for local families in need.
- Card Ministry Team: Bless members of our church and community by creating cards and writing notes of encouragement.
- “Senior Sunshine” Team: Prepare wreaths and small baskets of treats and deliver them to residents of local nursing homes.
- Servant Sewing Team: Create “fidget blankets” or lap quilts for nursing home residents.
- Blessing Box Team: Meet needs by restocking local blessing boxes with food, clothing, and other supplies.
- Baker’s Blessing Team: Prepare cupcakes, cookies, and/or other treats and deliver them to residents and staff at Northern Hospital.
- Rock Outreach Team: Distribute “message rocks” that have been created by Calvary’s kids.
- Homebound Blessing Team: Share visits with Calvary’s homebound members while delivering lunch.
- Colonial Care Team: Lead a devotional service at the Colonial Care nursing home and share lunch with residents.
- “Singing for the Saints” Team: Children (and others who like to “make a joyful noise”) will share songs and visits with residents of a local nursing home.
- Senior Servant Team: Provide basic home repair and improvement for a local senior in need.
- The Lunch Bunch: Prepare and deliver the lunch that will be served to all of our Servant Sunday participants.
- School Serve Team (Surry): Put your gardening and yard work skills to good use by doing a beautification project at North Surry High School.
- School Serve Team (Mount Airy): Put your painting skills to good use by doing a beautification project at Tharrington Elementary School.
- “New Life” Knitting Team: Knit caps and blankets for newborns and infants who are being served by The Legacy Center.
- “Road Redemption” Team: Serve our neighbors and beautify our immediate community by collecting trash along South Franklin Road.
- “Snacks for Servants” Team: Create snack baskets and deliver them to nurses, first responders, and other community helpers.
- Yokefellow Painting Team: Support our local food bank by painting a meeting space for Yokefellow Ministries.
- “Holy Hygiene” Team: Assemble bags of personal care items for distribution through the Salvation Army, Yokefellow, Surry County Jail, and other providers.
- Photography Team: Help record our Servant Sunday experiences by visiting different project sites and taking photos.