Calvary Baptist Church was birthed as a result of a tent revival conducted in August and September of 1913 by Reverend John Henry Haynes at the Crossroads (now Toast). The converts from this revival, rather than walk the distance to the nearest churches, chose to establish their own congregation in the community. With the help of the Surry Baptist Association and Reverend Haynes, who became the church’s first minister, Calvary “was found to be orthodox and was recognized as a Baptist Church” on December 14, 1913. There were 33 charter members. By May 1914, a 22’ x 40’ church building was erected between what are now Greenway and Glendale Drives in the Toast community. With additions made to the building in 1935 and 1938 to provide more space for Sunday School, the church remained at this site until 1948.
The church moved to its present location in 1948 when a larger Gothic style brick church structure was built which provided seating space for 450 and room for eight Sunday School classrooms. In 1966, an education building was added to the facilities which provided space for seven assembly areas and 30 small class rooms. In 1985, the church constructed a new sanctuary next to the 1948 structure which provided seating for over 600 worshipers.
Calvary has been led by seventeen pastors during its hundred years and the current pastor, Rev. Alex Martin, has served since 2011.